Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Things I've learned from making simple, healthy changes in my life

I have been trying to change to a healthier lifestyle over the last several months. I think I am doing much better and have learned some valuable lessons!

I started in January with my simple changes. I had physical goals that I set. My idea was to start slowly. So I did; drink more water, walk the dog, etc. Then I discovered that the college had a fitness center and I could use it since I was a student. So I rented a locker and added weight training three times a week. I loved it! I was starting to feel better!

I slowly changed my eating habits and really started making better food choices. I have cut back on the processed foods as much as I can and have increased the amount of water I drink daily.

Then school got out. No more fitness center. So I decided to run. I love running. I am happy to say that I have slowly increased my exercise levels and now get a good workout in 6 days a week. I take Sundays off.

So what have I learned?
Lesson 1 It's ok to go slowly. I learned that I couldn't just jump in and go gung ho. I needed to slowly work up to working out 6 days a week. Even still my workout are slow. I've been running since April and am still only on week 2 of my 8 week training program.

Lesson 2 Listen to my body. I learned to listen to what my body needs. There have been times when I could only complete a portion of the workout. I learned that stopping did not mean I quit, I still got some exercise in and to avoid injury, it is best to listen to what the needs of my body are.

Lesson 3 Eating healthy is key! I learned that making better food choices is essential to overall better health. My body had no problems letting me know when I stopped paying attention and made bad choices. I am to the point where even my 1 soda a week doesn't sound good. I don't deny myself anything and I am not on a diet, I just changed what I was eating. More whole foods and less processed and junky types of foods.

Lesson 4 I like how I feel now. I really like me now. I feel better, happier and more healthier. Some of my physical aches and pains have gone away, my joints don't ache and I sleep better. I still have problems with my knees but I am learning how to modify exercises and take proper preventative measures to insure I don't have problems later.

Overall I am very pleased with my progress and can't wait to continue. I have participated in 3 5k races already this summer and found I really enjoy them. My goal is to be able to run the entire Kohl Elementary 5k next May.

1 comment:

  1. Such great advice and ideas. I am always fighting the uphill battle to be healthier. It makes me feel so good, but it can be soooo hard too! Thanks for visiting my site. Glad to follow along.

    ReplyDelete